The Wife's Lament text

    The Wife's lament

The Wife's lament

Text:

Full of sorrow, I shall make this song
about me, my own fate. Surely I can tell 
what sufferings I endured science I came of age,
Both the new and old, never more than now.
I must endure without end the misery exile.
First my lord departed  from his people
Over tossing waves  I worried when day came
In what land  my liege-lord could be.
Then I set out, a Friendless exile,
to seek a place for my sore need.
My husband's kin had hatched a plot,
Conspiring seretly to separate us,
So that we widest apart in the world's realms
Lived in most misery, and I languished.
My lord commanded me to keep house here;
in this dwelling-place; I had few dear ones,
devoted friends. Therefore I feel downcast.
Then I learned my lord was like myself-
down on his luck, dreary- spirited,
Secretly minding murder in his heart.
A happy pair we had promised each other,
that death alone would ever divide us,
and nothing else. All that is changed; 
Our nearness once is now as though
it never had been. Now far or near, I must
bear the malice of the man I loved.
I was told to live in a grove of trees,
under an oak in an earthen cave.
That earth-hall is old; yearning overcomes me.
These dales are dark and the dunes high,
bitter bulwarks overgrown with briers,
a joyless place. Here my lord's departure
afflicts me cruelly. Friends here on earth,
lovers lying together, lounge in bed,
while a daybreak I abandon
this earth-pit under the oak
to sit alone the summer-long day.
There I may bewail my many woes,
suffering of exile, for I can never
obtain comfort for all my cares
nor all the longing this life brought me.
If ever anyone should feel anguish,
harsh pain at heart, she should put on 
a happy appearance while enduring
e sorrows- should she possess
all the world's bliss, or be banished far away
from her homeland. I believe my lord sits
by a stony strom- beaten cliff,
that water tossed my weary friend
sits in a desolate home. He must suffer
much in his mind, remembering too often
a happier place. Woe unto him .












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Othello MCQ questions and answers for Class 11/othello mcq class 11 rapid reader

As You Like It mcq for Class 11/As You Like It multiple choice questions for Class 11

MCQ From Three Questions Class XII /All Important Multiple Choice Questions From Three Questions /Three question mcq class 12/Three question mcq with answers